Lessons and Clinics
Yes, We Do Give Lessons!
Personalized Equestrian Instruction for Competition in Pleasure Shows and/or CDEs.
We offer equestrian lessons at our farm or yours depending on time and location. Many of our students come from a distance away, so we make it worth their time to travel by scheduling multi-day lessons over the course of two or three days.
Our lessons are tailored to your needs. We assess where you are in your knowledge and equipment when you arrive, discuss your goals, and move forward from there to make sure your horse is comfortable and help you drive better. We train our horses and students by the principles of dressage, using the Dressage Pyramid to help the student and horse progress in their training: https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0046/6819/4886/files/Pyramid_of_Training.pdf?6562509926918391926
We do not push the horse and student beyond their capabilities, and do not set any timelines of progress. We promise you will get better, but it is up to you and the horse to make progress in your own time. Some horses progress quickly, others need more time to develop. We also give the student “homework” exercises to help the horse develop physically and mentally, and then build from there.
Some of the topics we cover can be:
- Starting the Carriage Driving Horse
- Safety and Proper Harnessing & Putting To
- Training & Driving by the Principles of Dressage
- Expectations of the Carriage Driving Horse
- Selection & Care of Proper Equipment
- Winning Strategies for Arena & Obstacle Driving
- Timing the CDE Marathon
- Turnout/What to Wear at Competitions
- Personal Coaching at the Event
For the younger set, we also offer true equestrian lessons for proper care of the horse, including:
- Picking Hooves
We specialize on turning out students with the whole package to be successful in competitions. We also promote competitiveness without the cutthroat and encourage our students to support each other! Contact us to see how you can join our team!
- Adults - $40/hour
- Youth - $20/hour
Weekend Lessons (limited availability) - Stabling included, student to provide feed. Camping available on site, or plenty of local hotels nearby.
- 1.5-2 days (i.e. Friday afternoon & Saturday) - $300/person or small group (time is divided amongst 2-3 people)
- 2-3 days (i.e. Friday night thru Sunday) - $400/person or small group
Clinics and talks at your location also available:
Some talks/demonstrations can include:
- Bitting the Driving Horse
- Carriage Driving Overview
- Getting Started in Carriage Driving
- Harness Fitting
- Harness Selection & Care
- Trail & Recreational Driving Safety