What Size is My Horse?
Which Harness Size to Choose
All of our harnesses are made to order. Below are typical sizes of horses as they relate to sizes. As always, if you are unsure, please contact us and we can help you determine which size will work.
- Mini – any equine under 38”. Very fine, narrow 39” - 40” ponies such as American Shetland/Mini crosses.
- Pony – ponies 41” - 54” such as American Shetlands, Section A Welsh, smaller Section B and C Welsh, and Hackney Ponies.
- Cob – ponies 51” - 58” (14.2 HH). Thick Section C Welsh, Finer Section D Welsh, German Riding Ponies, small Haflingers and Fjords; smaller, finer horses.
- Horse – 14.3 HH -16 HH. Typical Morgans, typical Quarter Horses, thicker Fjords, taller Section D Welsh, smaller Dutch Harness Horses, smaller Friesians.
- Large Horse – 16.1 HH - 17.2 HH. Large Dutch Harness Horses, large Friesians, typical Warmbloods, small draft crosses.
- Draft – full draft horse breeds
The harness maker ultimately determines the size of the harness based on the majority of the measurements, but using the above guide, we can be very close.